Ont. egg, pullet quota moves on hold for new e-system

Any of Ontario’s 440 egg and pullet quota holders thinking about transferring quota will now have to wait until early next year, pending the rollout of a new electronic transfer system.

Egg Farmers of Ontario (EFO) said Friday it had informed quota holders of its plans for the “new and improved” e-system on Thursday.

EFO said its producers have also been advised that until the new quota transfer system is operating, a moratorium is imposed on egg and pullet quota transfers to “allow for an orderly implementation” of the new process.

EFO said feedback from farmers over the last two years led the board to decide farmers need a “regularly-scheduled market where all buyers and sellers are guaranteed access to participate on fair and equal terms.”

“Farmers said the lack of opportunity and lack of information about private quota sales means they find it is becoming more difficult to purchase quota without having to go through egg and pullet industry service representatives,” EFO’s board chair Scott Graham said in a release Friday.

“All buyers and sellers will benefit from the accessibility of an effective, organized market mechanism co-ordinated in a transparent way by a third-party organization.”

Meetings are to be held later this summer and in early fall with producers on the criteria for the quota transfer system, Graham said.

EFO’s board made its decision earlier this month, he said, following “extensive discussions and research into a variety of potential options, including similar existing transfer methods already in place in British Columbia, Manitoba and Quebec.”

The organization will be “consulting extensively” with producers over the next few months to design the details of a “made-in-Ontario” transfer system, he said.

Related stories:
Ont. egg farmers pick first quota loan recipient, Nov. 17, 2011
Levy on quota transfers planned in Man. budget, March 25, 2010

explore

Stories from our other publications