Concerned about a gravel pit in your area?

Reading Time: < 1 minute

A new booklet from the Farmers’ Advocate Office explains how gravel pits are regulated by the province and the role of the local municipality.

“Lately, we have seen an increase in calls from people who want to understand how they can mitigate impacts from a gravel pit that has been proposed in their area,” said Jeana Schuurman of the FAO.

Gravel pits that are larger than five hectares must be registered and information about their construction, operation, and reclamation must be provided. They also require a municipal development permit.

Surface Material Extraction Pits in Alberta is available on the Alberta Agriculture website or by calling 310-FARM.

About the author

Alberta Agriculture and Forestry's recent articles



Stories from our other publications