For the sixth time in seven years, Monsanto Canada has been selected as one of Canada’s top 100 employers in Mediacorp Canada Inc.’s annual survey of Canadian businesses.
The listing ranks employers based on a nationwide survey, an extensive application process and analysis of compensation levels, work/life balance, training opportunities, workplace facilities and company benefits. This year 3,250 employers applied for the process.
In a release, Monsanto president and general manager Mike McGuire said agriculture is an exciting industry to be a part of, but it is not always top of mind when people think about jobs or their careers.
“We want to change that perception and encourage people looking for a rewarding field of employment to consider agriculture as a career choice. This recognition certainly helps in that regard.”
Among the reasons cited for the award were:
- Maternity and parental leave top-up payments to new mothers or adoptive parents and a generous subsidy for fertility drugs, up to $15,000;
- A variety of flexible work arrangements including shortened and compressed work week options, telecommuting and reduced summer hours;
- Encouraging employees to be active in their local community by providing paid time off to volunteer;
- Location at the University of Manitoba’s SmartPark alongside other research and technology companies;
- Tuition subsidies of up to $10,000;
- Retirement planning assistance and a defined contribution pension plan;
- Initial three weeks of paid vacation, as well as paid time off during an office shutdown at the end of December.