Farmers in southern Alberta can dispose of old pesticides or livestock medications at one of 20 locations in October.
The chemicals and medications can be dropped off between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. at the following locations:
- Oct. 22: South Country Co-op, Vauxhall; Fox Lake Agro Services, Hanna; Richardson Pioneer, Olds; and South Country Co-op, Claresholm.
- Oct. 23: Cardston County administration building, Cardston; Richardson Pioneer, Oyen; W. Buis Holdings, Foremost; and Nutrien Ag Solutions, Crossfield.
- Oct. 24: Richardson Pioneer, Stirling; Parrish and Heimbecker, Bow Island; UFA Strathmore, Strathmore; and Nutrien Ag Solutions, Coronation.
- Oct. 25: Kneehill Soil Services, Three Hills; Richardson Pioneer, Vulcan; UFA Taber, Taber; and UFA Medicine Hat, Medicine Hat.
- Oct. 26: Central Alberta Co-op, Innisfail; Nutrien Ag Solutions, Brooks; UFA High River, High River; and Nutrien Ag Solutions, Iron Springs.
The disposal program is operated by Cleanfarms, a non-profit environmental stewardship organization that operates across the country. Last year, it collected more than five million empty pesticide and fertilizer containers (more than one million in Alberta alone), nearly 270,000 kilograms of obsolete pesticides, and more than 5,000 kilograms of livestock and equine medications.
The program will return to northern Alberta in the fall of 2019. For more information go to the Cleanfarms website.