More grain ships diverted from Red Sea due to Houthi attacks

Air strikes, naval forces not enough to end attacks on ships, trader says

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Published: February 9, 2024

, ,

FILE PHOTO: People walk on the beach as a container ship crosses the Gulf of Suez towards the Red Sea before entering the Suez Canal, in El Ain El Sokhna in Suez, east of Cairo, Egypt April 24, 2017. Picture taken April 24, 2017. Photo: Reuters/Amr Abdallah Dalsh

Hamburg | Reuters — More ships carrying grain were diverted from the Suez Canal to sailings around the Cape of Good Hope this week as concern about attacks on vessels in the Red Sea continued, shipping analysts said on Friday.

“Another 13 vessels were diverted this week taking the total cargo diverted away from the Red Sea route to around 5.2 million metric tons of grains in about 90 ships since the attacks started late last year,” said Ishan Bhanu, lead agricultural commodities analyst at data provider and analyst Kpler.

Read Also

Spain is the European Union’s leading pork producer, accounting for a quarter of the bloc’s output and with annual exports worth about 3.5 billion euros (C$5.65 billion). Photo: Geralyn Wichers

Spain detects first swine fever cases outside initial Barcelona outbreak zone

Two African swine fever cases have been detected in Spain among wild boar for the first time outside an original outbreak area near Barcelona, prompting additional restrictions on the movement of people and livestock, regional authorities in Catalonia said on Friday.

About 7 million tons per month of grain cargoes usually transit the Suez Canal into the Red Sea, but bulk and other shipping has dropped significantly as Iran-backed Houthi militants have continued attacks on shipping despite U.S.-led air strikes on Houthi positions in Yemen.

“U.S. and European cargoes continue to avoid the Red Sea,” Bhanu said. “Not a single vessel in the Atlantic carrying grain to Asia is heading towards the Suez Canal.”

The Atlantic shipments would include large U.S. grain exports to Asia.

“Almost all cargo originating in the Black Sea, mainly exports out of Russia and Romania, continues to travel through Suez and the Red Sea,” Bhanu said. “Only three such vessels diverted to take the longer route among dozens sailing.”

Vessels in the Red Sea broadcast messages on the automatic identification system (AIS) to seek safe passage to show they are not involved in the Middle East conflict, including ships under Chinese ownership, he said.

Commodity traders said it was still possible to find bulk carriers for Red Sea grain shipments.

“There are shipowners willing to take the risk,” a German grain trader said. “But it is clear the air strikes and naval forces are not enough to end the attacks on ships in the immediate future.”

–Reporting for Reuters by Michael Hogan.

About the author

Reuters

The news and media division of Thomson Reuters.

explore

Stories from our other publications