Forty-six people in China’s southern province of Guangdong have suffered food poisoning after eating pig organs that contained an animal feed additive, the official Xinhua news agency said Feb. 19.
All those who fell sick had eaten pig organs, said Wang Guobin, an official with the Guangzhou Municipal Public Health Bureau. Initial investigations showed the organs were contaminated with clenbuterol.
The chemical can stop pigs accumulating fat and can be used by humans as a weight loss aid and to help ease breathing disorders. It is banned as an additive in pig feed in China.
China has launched a crackdown on tainted food following the deaths of at least six babies last year from drinking formula milk contaminated with melamine, a toxic industrial compound.