Journalists on Ukraine’s leading English-language newspaper have gone on strike to back its editor who was sacked for publishing an interview with a government minister despite the owner’s request to drop it.
Brian Bonner, chief editor of the Kyiv Post,was dismissed April 15 after publication of an interview with Ukrainian Agricultural Minister Mykola Prysyazhnyuk that touched on the sensitive issue of grain export quotas.
Journalists at the weekly newspaper said its British owner had ceded to pressure from the government in what they saw as a further case of infringement of media rights by President Viktor Yanukovich’s leadership.
Read Also

Volunteers help exotic animal farm rebuild
Exotic animal farm loses beloved camel and pony to huge hail storm that gripped the Brooks, Alta. area as a community member starts a fundraiser to help the family recover from the financial and emotional damage.
TheKyiv Post,which was founded in 1995 and has a print run of 20-25,000, covers political and social news as well as business news for Ukraine’s investment community. It has online services in Russian and Ukrainian that were launched a year ago.
Its owner, British businessman Mohammed Zahoor, has run the newspaper through Istil Investment since 2009.
In a statement announcing the strike, its editorial staff said they wanted Bonner reinstated.
In a statement, Istil Investment denied there had been calls from the government to kill the interview. It said there had been a difference of opinion between the owner and Bonner over editorial content, and the running of the Ukrainian and Russian language editions of the newspaper’s website.
Big grain trading houses and the Kiev government have been at odds over Ukrainian policy on grain export quotas, a billion-dollar business that, market insiders say, is prone to graft.
In the interview, Prysyazhnyuk defended government policy of imposing quotas to protect the domestic food market in times of indifferent harvests and high world demand.