Don’t buy equipment from an unlicensed dealer or distributor

When buying new farm equipment, part of making an informed decision is checking to make sure the dealer or distributor is licensed.

“Farmers should be aware that if they are conducting business with an unlicensed farm implement business, they will not have any protection under the Farm Implement Act,” said Jeana Les, rural engagement and communications specialist with the Farmers’ Advocate Office (FAO).

“All farm implement distributors and dealers operating within the province of Alberta must be licensed under the Farm Implement Act, which is administered by the FAO.”

This legislation provides consumers with protection on the purchase of new farm equipment. Consumers can review the lists of licensed dealers and distributors on the FAO website at Additionally, each year licensed dealers and distributors are provided with physical licences to be displayed at their place of business.

For more information or for questions about farm implement dealer and distributor licensing, call the FAO through the Ag Info Centre at 310-FARM (3276).

About the author

Alberta Agriculture and Forestry's recent articles



Stories from our other publications