Certificate needed to avoid carbon tax on fuel

Certificate needed to avoid carbon tax on fuel
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Alberta Beef Producers is urging farmers to fill out a fuel charge exemption form before Jan. 1, when the federal carbon tax kicks in for the province.

The carbon tax (officially called the Federal Fuel Charge) isn’t levied on gasoline and light fuel oil for farm machinery “for the purpose of farming or travelling from farm to farm,” ABP notes.

Provincial officials are also receiving numerous inquiries about the Fuel Charge Exemption Certificate, which is required before a supplier can exempt a producer from the tax, said farm business management specialist Dean Dyck.

He recommends checking out the frequently asked questions page about the tax on the United Farmers of Alberta website.

About the author



Stories from our other publications